Holiday Shopping And Social Media Study
Tis The Season for Holiday Cheer, Seasonal Soirees and Shopping, Shopping, Shopping!
Highlights from the GigCoin check-in:
- 80%+ felt that holiday social media campaigns increased awareness and impacted their purchasing decision.
- 77%+ liked/followed brands related to a good deal.
- 90% shop online and utilize social media to locate deals and discover new gift ideas.
- More than 50% use mobile apps to compare prices and check-in for deals.
- Gift ideas, tips for entertaining, deals, sweepstakes and prompting “old/warm memories” were regarded as effective campaign techniques.
- Influencers cautioned that a company’s social media efforts needs to be year round and deliver value to have an impact (discounts, free shipping, prizes, tips, “engaging experiences”).
Sound bites from Influencers:
Holiday Social Media Campaigns & Shopping Behavior:@ohmariana The Domestic Buzz “I’m always looking for free shipping or discount promo codes that I can use when shopping online. This applies all year, but more during the holiday season. Sometimes brands post special discounts for their Facebook fans or Twitter followers, and I’m all over that! I also like entering their contests on Facebook and Twitter. So easy to enter and my chances are usually pretty good..” @ConnieFoggles Brain Foggles “Yes, because during the holiday season I’m definitely going to be shopping. Instead of liking or following a brand because they are doing something unusual or cute, I am looking for sales, coupons and freebies to help me save money for gifts.” @cuponeandolive Cuponeando
“As a customer, I prefer brands that are engaging year-round than just a one season. I think it’s a waste of a like when brands have a fan page for just one campaign then they abandon it.”
@1momof5 Better in Bulk “Yes, I think I’d be more likely to engage with them and make a purchase because I am already in the “shopping around” mindset.”
Memorable Holiday Social Media Campaigns:@coupon_chica Ahorros para Mama
“I like the Top 20 Toys list from Walmart and The Big Book of Toys from ToysRUs because they really help me get an idea of what to buy for my kids during the holidays.”@amybhole Freaky Perfect
“Sports Authority. On Black Friday last year, they had a Foursquare promotion where they gave away $500 gift certificates to 20 shoppers nationwide. I won one!”
@omgbren So Much Pretty “Last year, a cosmetics brand I followed created an “advent calendar,” except it was a sales calendar. Each day on the calendar had a new deal; GWP, free samples, %off, grab bag, etc. It was awesome and exciting to see which luck of the draw you picked.”
Impact of Online, Social Media & Mobile on Holiday Shopping:@BLOGSbyLATINAS Blogs by Latinas.com “If there’s a product I have question about, I tweet it or post it on Facebook to get people’s opinion.“ @GoodNCrazy Good N Crazy “Several years ago I lived in a suburban area with plenty of shopping within 20 miles radius. HERE I have very little and costs me $20+ in gas to go ‘shopping’. Last year I purchased a lot of items online, however I was still really intent on finding free shipping. This year the online shopping will increase a bit more I’d say. If walmart has it, I’ll buy it there, but otherwise.. probably online.” @cristlegirl My Loss My Gain “My smart phone is my connection to everything. I search for deals and coupons as I shop. I’m more likely to buy a product if I can get a deal on it.”
Top Takeaways from the study:
- Engaging and building your social media community needs to be a year-long strategy.
- Capitalizing on the holiday shopping frenzy with a clever, well placed campaign will keep your brand on the forefront of shoppers at this crucial marketing time.
- When it comes to grabbing shopper’s attention via social media, deals and special offers are most important; followed by unique heart warming campaigns. Gift ideas and entertaining tips are also effective.
- To truly stand out during the onslaught of holiday campaigns, companies need to deliver a great “experience” and include a meaningful offer. (ie. engaging games, heart warming videos)
- Mobile marketing should be implemented. Deals available via cell phones can close the sale for your product.